Sunday 28 February 2010

How old do I have to be to have Botox?

“I’m 24 and I’m considering having Botox. I already have crow’s feet beginning to develop around my eyes and I am concerned that in 10 years time, I’ll look like I’m fifty! Am I too young for Botox or is there another treatment that will help me look my age?”

Botulinum Toxin Type A is the chemical that is known as Botox. Typically, younger people are discouraged from having Botox injections. Too often, young celebrities like Heidi Montag, Katie Price and the Minogue sisters embark upon Botox injections from an early age. They end up looking ‘stretched’ and generally quite strange after years of unnecessary treatment.

Doctors who administer Botox injections upon patients who don’t need them are more likely to be the unscrupulous type who may not be as careful as the more experienced professional. Too much Botox can temporarily paralyse. At Cosmetic Clinics, we do not always treat patients on their request – if we don’t think you need a particular treatment, we will tell you so and advise of any alternatives that may help you achieve the desired effect.

If you are young, it is doubtful you actually NEED Botox. You would be advised to have a healthy skincare routine for a number of years before considering Botox. Drink plenty of water, stay moisturised and wear a SPF 15 cream on your face as a minimum requirement. Don’t smoke and eat a balanced diet with plenty of vitamins and protein.

However, some young people find that after losing weight, their face has lost a healthy, plump look. Skin may be ever so slightly looser and the patient may appear gaunt and unhealthy. In this case, we would suggest the patient consider dermal fillers to plump out their face to restore vitality.

No comments: